With the Cleveland Browns now officially on the clock, I think it’s the right time to post my first mock draft.
While my colleague Jake Samulak will post his specific mock draft on how he’d fix the Browns with each draft pick in next April’s NFL Draft, I will do an entire first round mock for all NFL teams.
For my first mock draft, I will only be doing the current top 20 picks based on the standings Tankathon.com has as of the moment of my writing. The playoff teams will be added as they’re eliminated in the postseason.
Regardless of the report from Adam Schefter of ESPN about Josh Rosen’s preferred destination, it’s not changing the first overall pick for the Cleveland Browns.
So let’s get things started.
1. Cleveland Browns-Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA: He may want to play in New York but that won’t stop John Dorsey from making the 20 year old the franchise quarterback of the Cleveland Browns.
2. New York Giants-Sam Darnold, QB, USC: Giants end up with who could be the best quarterback in the class five years from now.
3. Indianapolis Colts-Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State: Indy has a ton of needs and could use an offensive tackle here but Chubb is too talented to pass up.
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers-Derwin James, S, Florida State: James gets to stay in the sunshine state to help Tampa’s secondary.
5. Cleveland Browns (via Houston)-Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU: Cleveland gives their new franchise quarterback a weapon to throw to.
6. San Francisco 49ers-Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State: Carlos Hyde won’t be back so John Lynch gets Jimmy Garoppolo a big time running back to lean on
7. Denver Broncos-Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming: Paxton Lynch, Brock Osweiler and Trevor Siemian. Yeah, Denver will be getting a new quarterback.
8. New York Jets-Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS, Alabama: Jamal Adams and Fitzpatrick are a nasty duo in the secondary for the next decade
9. Chicago Bears-Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama: Mitchell Trubisky gets a reliable wide receiver from a school that’s produced some great receivers.
10. Cincinnati Bengals-Connor Williams, OT, Texas: The offensive line needs upgraded for whoever the quarterback may be in the Queen City.
11. Miami Dolphins-Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia: Dolphins defense gets nastier with Smith joining the linebacking corp.
12. Arizona Cardinals-Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma: They’ve been avoiding this for sometime but Arizona gets their future QB
13. Oakland Raiders-Orlando Brown Jr., OT, Oklahoma: Oakland adds a mammoth of a man to an already decent offensive line
14. Green Bay Packers-Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA: The offensive line was shuffled a lot during the season and they need to protect Aaron Rodgers’ remaining years.
15. Washington Redskins-Arden Key, DE, LSU: Redskins could use another pass rusher and Ryan Kerrigan is about to hit the backside of his career.
16. Los Angeles Chargers-Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville: The predecessor to Phillip Rivers has been found.
17. Buffalo Bills-Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan: Buffalo traded Marcell Dareus earlier this season and need that big man in the middle of the defense.
18. Detroit Lions-Marcus Davenport, DE, UTSA: Detroit finds a pass rusher to go opposite Ziggy Ansah.
19. Seattle Seahawks-Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame: Seattle needs to upgrade the offensive line all over.
20. Dallas Cowboys-James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State: Didn’t they draft a talented wide receiver from Oklahoma State before? Jerry Jones hopes lightning strikes twice